Saturday, 10 June 2017 Rome, Italy

Wanderlust



CULOTTES - COS / DRESS - URBAN OUTFITTERS / TEE - COS 
SLIP ONS - VANS / DUSTER COAT - MONKI (SIMILAR) / BAG - YSL SAC DE JOUR




A few outfit photos from my time in Rome in October 2016. 

The result of Brexit really encouraged me to travel more across Europe, since soon, we might not be able to visit European countries as freely as we can now. This (academic) year, I had so much urgency to travel, or as they call it – wanderlust.

So during my second year of university, I traveled to Berlin, Rome, Prague, Paris, and Copenhagen. And my next stop is to Athens in a few weeks for a few days. People always ask me how do I travel so much despite being a student. Yes, finding time and money is difficult so here are my tips and advice on how to travel despite being a university student:

  • Budget – it isn't pretty but instead of eating in EAT, Pret, Leon every day, start meal prepping and bringing in lunches and your own coffee. Set a limit on how much you want to spend a week, and how many times you should go out socially. If you love shopping, I'd recommend waiting for sales or when student discount doubles (i.e. ASOS and Topshop will occasionally have 20% off; you can use your student discount on top of Urban Outfitters sale items)
  • Time management – let's be honest, you aren't going to spend all of reading week, catching up on books and articles and completing your formative essays. I always try to book a city break in the beginning of each holiday (i.e. October and February reading weeks, Christmas and Easter break) And during the holiday break, dabble in university work in the evenings, at the airport or on your flight and know that you'll probably have to squeeze more work in when you get back. 
  • Be strategic – book your holidays early of course, but also remember when school half terms are and book before or after those dates. Example: we finish two weeks before school Christmas break begins, book a break then.
  • Find deals – sign up to Travel Zoo and other similar sites for really cheap and affordable deals. Use your UNIDAYS student discount on Hotels.com, book through Skyscanner, and always use an incognito window so there's no lurking cookies or history of your searches.
  • Hostel or hotel? – I hate hostels, I've done it, and I'm not a fan. I'm a person who enjoys her surroundings and likes things a particular way (i.e. I hate red and floral bedding) if you're the same, I'd recommend using Airbnb (use my link for £30 off your first trip) or using Booking.com or Hotels.com. If you listen to my advice about being strategic when you go on holiday, you'll find that hotels reduce their prices immensely because it's an off-peak season. 

Do you have any tips or advice on traveling as a student? If so comment them down below, I'd love to know! 







4 comments

  1. Great tips, I definitely would love to travel more! I also enjoy my Starbucks and Costa coffees a tad too much and could definitely save a few pennies from cutting down!

    Toni x
    www.clarkecouture.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like we never notice how much a coffee really costs, especially me! Such a bad habit but so convenient!

      Thuy x

      Delete
  2. Great tips, you've been to some incredible places as well! I've never stayed in a hostel but I don't need to to know that I 100% could not handle that, Airbnb all the way for me.

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have city guides on almost all of my trips if you're interested :)
      Haha, I'm staying in my first Airbnb when I visit Athens, its so affordable, I was so surprised!

      Thuy xx

      Delete

© Thuy's Edit . Design by Fearne.